You don’t need to spend a fortune on Wi-Fi extenders; install a low-cost Wi-Fi antenna at home. While new Wi-Fi antennas enable you to take advantage of the best speeds available within your ISP’s package, they can be rather costly. Fortunately, you can always turn to do-it-yourself initiatives to boost your connection signal without spending a fortune. Would you Like to know How to Make a Wifi Antenna for Laptop?
Consider these long-range Wi-Fi antennas that you may construct at a shoestring price. Note that some of them may require you to obtain a license from the FCC (or other authority responsible for regulating wireless devices in your territory), so double-check before submitting your application.
What Is the Function of Wifi Antennas?
Wireless devices communicate with one another using radio waves. These wireless transmissions are nothing more than electromagnetic waves (EM waves) carrying data packets. Antennas for WiFi convert electromagnetic waves to electrical impulses and vice versa.
Receiving and transmitting antennas are found in wireless networking devices such as wireless routers, cellphones, laptops, tablets, and hotspots. The receiving antennas detect electromagnetic waves carrying data packets and transform them into electrical signals that the device can process. By contrast, transmitting antennas change electrical impulses to electromagnetic waves to send the data packets.
How to Make a Wifi Antenna for Laptop?
Here are the two best methods for creating a WiFi antenna for a laptop, along with step-by-step instructions.
1- Making a Paper Clip Antenna
- Collect all of Your Supplies and Tools. It would help if you had a large paper clip (50-75 mm, or 2-3 inches long), an empty Bic ballpoint pen, and a roll of electrical tape to construct the antenna. Additionally, a metric ruler, scissors, wire cutters, and a lighter are required.
- Reposition the Paper Clip. Unfold the paper clip to reveal a slender strip of metal. The paper clip should be measured and cut. Your paper clip wire must be 61 mm (2.4 inches) to obtain the optimal signal. For the most effective antenna, try to get as close to this measurement as feasible.
- The Paper Clip Should be Bent. At a 90° angle, bend roughly 19 mm (3/4 inch) of one end of the straightened wire. It is the section that will be inserted into the WiFi antenna port.
- Remove the Pen’s ink Cartridge. Because you’re going to be clipping the ink cartridge, it’s preferable to use an empty pen that no longer writes. Remove around 12-18 mm (1/2 – 3/4 inch) of the tubing that previously held the ink. It can become messy if the tube is not empty, so be cautious to have the line away from you while you cut. Cut the box along a non-stained surface.
- Slip the Tube Over the Paper Clip’s Bent Portion. Cover the bent end of the paper clip with the cut-off piece of tubing. Assure that the tubing reaches approximately 1.5 mm (1/16 inch) beyond the end of the paper clip.
- With the lighter, Shrink the Tube. Gently warm the tubing on the paper clip with a more golden or another heat source. It will cause the tube to contract and form a snug fit around the paper clip.
- Protect the Antenna by Insulating it. Wrap the paper clip in voltaic tape to avoid excessively interfering with the wireless signal.
- You Should Insert the Paper Clip into the Antenna Port. Insert the paper clip’s ‘tubing’ end into the antenna connector, pressing the connector pin and the paper clip together inside the tubing. If they can be made to overlap, the signal will be even more powerful.
2- Using Soda Can
Additionally, you may use a soda can to create a directional wifi antenna that works best with external devices. The internal components of your laptop are pretty delicate. As a result, opening it up and then tinkering with its internals via these techniques will exacerbate the problem.
Therefore, unless you are experiencing issues with the external dongle you purchased for your laptop or desktop computer, I do not recommend attempting any of these options. Given that your external dongle has broken, here’s how you can get things started using a drink can.
- If the Coke can is not empty, empty it. Cut out the top side of the soda can with a cutter.
- Take caution when using the cutter; you do not want to end up in the hospital at this point. After scoring around the top, use scissors to remove any remaining pieces.
- You’re meant to make the process as painless as possible. Clean the soda can from the inside using standard dishwasher soap and allow it to dry naturally.
- After it has dried, set the can on a cloth or newspaper and, using a knife or a nail driven into the point with a hammer, cut a hole approximately 4 inches from the closed end.
- Take care not to use excessive force since this can cause damage to the entire can. Tape, the open end of the, can shut. Then, cut both ends of a coaxial wire or cable using a wire cutter. One end of the wire is inserted into the hole you drilled in the Coke can.
- Tape it in place. Remove the outer insulation cover from the opposite end by 2 inches using wire strippers.
- You’ll notice a transparent or clear sheath beneath. Remove it partially. Instead, use the wire strippers to remove the covering for approximately an inch to expose the wires.
- The bare wires are inserted into the wifi adapter’s wifi port (external). Solder the outer cover so that any exposed wire is covered. Additionally, it would help to wrap the tape around this spot to isolate it from the outdoors.
- Connect the wifi adapter to your laptop that you just connected to the can. The soda can intercept your router’s wireless signals and then route them to your computer via the adaptor. Now you know all about How to Make a Wifi Antenna for Laptop?
Advantages of Wifi Antenna
After reading the How to Make a Wifi Antenna for Laptop? Now you also want to know about the advantages of Wifi Antenna. There are certain circumstances in which a laptop wifi antenna booster is beneficial. The first instance is when I stay in a hotel, guesthouse, or hostel and the internet connection fails to reach my room. There might be just one router, which could be located in a public space. By attaching my external wifi antenna, I can work with powerful signals from the comfort of my room.
This range is between a few hundred yards and several thousand yards, depending on the number of walls/buildings. The second scenario occurs when I discover the ideal cafe to work in (atmosphere, coffee, prizes, food, and comfort), but their wifi is unavailable. A restaurant down the block, on the other hand, may have a far better relationship.
I can connect to another cafe’s fast internet using my wireless antenna while working from the restaurant, which I prefer. It may not appear like much, but being a digital nomad on the road, I need to find a large workstation with excellent internet to maximize my productivity.
FAQs – How to Make a Wifi Antenna for Laptop?
Can You Have Wifi but No Internet?
If none of your devices can connect to the internet, but your WiFi indicator remains lit, the most likely explanation is that your internet provider is experiencing an outage. Before rebooting and rearranging wires, it’s always prudent to check this first.
Does Aluminium Foil Boost Wifi Signal?
Aluminum foil is supposed to prevent the signal from traveling in one direction and focusing oppositely. It enhances both their range and strength. As a result, you’ll enjoy better internet speeds. It is pretty beneficial because it is entirely free.
Can’t Connect to Wi-fi on a Laptop?
Unplug your router after disconnecting all cords. By disconnecting the wires, you can assist in eliminating static in the lines, which might affect your connection. Please wait at least 30 seconds before re-plugging it in. Wait at least two minutes after restarting your router before attempting to connect to Wi-Fi.
How Can I Get Free Internet for My Laptop?
To obtain a free internet connection, conduct an online search for “free internet hotspots” in your neighborhood to locate available Wi-Fi connections. Additionally, you can visit a neighboring coffee shop or retail mall, many of which offer complimentary Wi-Fi.
Do you want to know How to Make a Wifi Antenna for Laptop? Making a wifi antenna for a laptop is difficult if you consider removing or replacing internal components. The pieces are small, and if you tamper with them, you risk tampering with another element nearby.
As a result, it is preferable to get an external wifi adapter. However, if you wish to boost the adapter’s output power, use one of the two techniques indicated previously. They’ll assist in routing all wifi signals to your laptop, eliminating unwanted spikes and tremors.