Being organised benefits all aspects of your life. Nobody wants to enter their bedroom and be greeted by clothes on the floor, rumpled bedsheets, and stray coffee mugs. Similarly, when your computer is untidy or dusty, it can add another layer of stress to your day. Let’s look at How Often Should You Clean Your Laptop?
Cleaning your laptop is a critical skill that requires some finesse since you’re dealing with sensitive hardware that is easily knocked out of place or broken. And while you’re cleaning the surface of your computer, bear in mind that you may also clean the inside of your laptop. Your virtual areas should also be maintained tidy and orderly, particularly if running low on disc space.
How Often Should You Clean Your Laptop?
Dust accumulation within your laptop over time might reduce its cooling performance, resulting in shorter component life. Clean the innards of your laptop every six to twelve months to assist in keeping it cool.
Sign That Your Laptop Need to Be Clean
- It has an odour.
- It has an abnormally hearted feel to it.
- There is a great deal of dust and filth on the fans.
- It is emitting odd noises.
- Your programmes are operating at a slower rate than usual.
- Your Laptop is experiencing more frequent crashes than usual.
- You are experiencing difficulties connecting to wireless networks.
- You’re experiencing challenges with video streaming or gaming.
Read Also: How to Fix Rainbow Screen on Laptop Easy Guide
What Is Causing My Laptop to Overheat?
Compared to a desktop computers, laptops are compact and require a small amount of space to accommodate all of their components. Consequently, when you attempt to do things that need a substantial amount of CPU power, such as loading a video game or streaming TV shows, the temperature of your device can rise significantly. While internal fans will attempt to cool everything down, your laptop may still become too hot and begin to malfunction.
Additional reasons for a laptop to overheat include the following:
- The air vents have been concealed. When your laptop is placed on a soft or uneven surface, such as a bed, pillow, or lap, it restricts airflow.
- Dust, filth, hair, and grime can clog your laptop fan, causing it to work overtime to cool the device.
- Internal hardware issues can occur due to a degraded battery or deteriorating thermal paste, a chemical that helps keep your computer from overheating.
Laptop Cleaning Process
Wipe Down Your Laptop’s Lid
Cleaning your laptop’s lid and bottom panel requires warm water, a lint-free cloth, and a little dish detergent. To begin, combine a few drops of the detergent with a few cups of warm water. Dip the material into the mixture and squeeze away extra liquid.
Wipe the laptop’s surfaces with a cloth. After rinsing your cloth with clean water, re-use it to wipe off the covers. Additionally, you can wipe your computer down with a dry cloth a third time to avoid watermarks.
Cleaning Your Laptop Keyboard
- Disconnect Your Computer. Moisture Leaking Into Your Computer Could Cause It to Crash, and Wiping Down Your Keyboard Could Accidentally Send an Email.
- Twist and Shake Your Laptop. Remove Any Large Crumbs or Dust Balls From Your Keyboard. Make Cleanup Easier by Doing This Over a Towel or a Rubbish Bin.
- Clean Out Debris With a Soft Brush or Compressed Air. Wipe the Tops and Edges of Each Key With a Soft Paintbrush. Try to Do This With the Keyboard Upside Down to Avoid Smearing Dirt.
- You Can Also Use Compressed Air to move Out Anything Lodged in the Keys. Spray Zigzag Across the Keyboard, Rotate It, and Repeat Until You’ve Done All Four Sides.
- Just Avoid Spraying Air Directly Under the Keys to Avoid Harm.
Cleaning a Laptop Screen
- When cleaning your laptop screen, you can’t always afford to splurge on high-end equipment. Many standard home items, such as rubbing alcohol, can be used. However, some are harmful to your screen and should be avoided.
- A new sponge is terrific for cleaning screens. To avoid water dripping into your laptop, you only need to dampen the sponge lightly. You can use Windex to clean it if you have a glass laptop screen.
- Some laptops have a clear glass screen in front of the monitor, like a phone. A little Windex applied to your microfiber cloth will do the trick. Never squirt Windex directly onto your laptop’s screen. A soft duster will do if you don’t have a microfiber cloth or a new sponge.
- A typical feather duster may damage your screen, but chances are you use the Swiffer duster. If you don’t have a microfiber cloth, these cleaning cloths are the next best thing.
- If you’re unsure how to clean your laptop screen, it’s wise to err on caution. Online or store-bought specialised cleaners and cleaning supplies are available for added protection.
Cleaning Your Laptop Fan
While you work, a dusty fan can cause some pretty distracting noise pollution. If you’re willing to take matters into your own hands, you have a few alternatives for cleaning the fan effectively. The simplest method of cleaning your fan is to use compressed air to entice dust from its crevices. If you do not have access to compressed air, you can clean your fan manually.
The following are the steps:
- Shut down and unplug your gadget from the outlet.
- Remove the bottom panel of your laptop; this will typically require the use of a screwdriver. If you’re unsure of what you’ll need to remove your bottom panel, consult your laptop’s manual or search online for a copy.
- By securing the fan with one finger, you may prevent it from turning while you clean it. Remove the fan in its entirety from your laptop because it has numerous sophisticated components that can be difficult to reassemble.
- Wipe down the fan with a towel, being careful not to send large clumps of dust into the fan.
- Wipe down all vents on the laptop’s inside and exterior.
- Gently blow air into the fan to aid in the removal of any leftover dust particles.
Advantages of Cleaning Your Laptop
Now you know all about How Often Should You Clean Your Laptop? After reading the above Guide. Laptop cleaning is just as critical as office cleaning to maintain a healthy environment and prevent your laptop from overheating or malfunctioning. Keeping a clean computer can help you protect your health and save money.
Benefits to Personal Health and Hygiene
Although the first advantage is self-evident, it is worth highlighting. Bacteria, mould, and dust all contribute to the development of allergies and asthma. Regular computer cleaning dramatically reduces the risk of illness and contributes to a healthier atmosphere.
Advantage of Less Overheating
Cooling fans are used to keep your computer cool. If dust and debris obstruct the fan’s rotation, the hardware components inside your system will not receive cool air, and the hot air will be unable to escape to the environment. As a result, overheating may occur, causing damage to the physical components. To avoid overheating, fans may spin rapidly. As a result, energy will be lost. Battery life will be reduced, particularly in the case of laptops.
Prolongs the life of the laptop
If your laptop is dusty, the hardware components might become damaged quickly, necessitating component replacement more frequently. Otherwise, you’ll need to get a new computer. Businesses and individuals can often save money by extending their lives by often cleaning computers.
Sudden Spike in Physical Activity
My heart always races after a good cleaning session. Cleaning entails physical exertion, which is beneficial to your health. If you despise exercise but wish to remain active and healthy, do what you do.
FAQs – How Often Should You Clean Your Laptop?
Read Also: 5 Best Laptop for Networking in 2022 Buyer’s Guide
Is It Ok Not to Clean a Laptop?
Dust and dirt can quickly accumulate on your laptop in days if kept out in the open. When not in use, you should always store your computer; this prevents dust from getting inside the hardware.
Should I Clean My Laptop every day?
Like all laptops, the best MacBook gets soiled from use and the environment. Cleaning your computer regularly or weekly is essential for its health. You’re protecting yourself by cleaning your MacBook Air (M1, 2020) or another device.
Can I Wash the Keyboard With Water?
It is effective! Partial disassembly of the keyboard and rinsing with distilled water. When electrolytes are present in sufficient concentration in water, components and traces may begin to rust. Allow it to entirely dry before plugging it in, and it should work.
Is It Safe to Clean Laptop Fan?
Turn off and disconnect your laptop, then clean its vents using compressed air. It is possible to clean a laptop fan without pressurised air, but it is considerably more dangerous. A dust-clogged laptop fan might cause your laptop to overheat.
Can I Use a Hair Dryer to Clean a Laptop?
Remove All Connection With the Hair Dryer and the Case or Anything Else in the Laptop. Static Electricity Will Accumulate and Destroy Your Notebook. It Is Similar to When Individuals Use a Vacuum Cleaner to Clean the Insides of a Desktop.
Now you know all about How Often Should You Clean Your Laptop? Cleaning each component regularly will help maintain your Laptop clean, sanitary, and functioning efficiently. It is recommended that you open your laptop and perform the cleaning process at least once every three to six months.
Maintain the excellent condition of the screen. Regularly Clean the Screen Clean the screen. Utilisation and Charging: Battery in a scientific manner. Activate the Battery Saver Mode Activate the Battery Saver Mode. Maintain Consistently. Performance of the disc: Utilise It on a Robust Platform.