You’ve been looking for a way to factory reset your laptop, but you’re unsure how long it will take to complete it.
We will examine the time required for a factory reset and how to undertake the action in this article. Additionally, we discuss typical mistakes individuals make when factory resetting their laptops and how to avoid them.
So to overcome all these issues, I am going to demonstrate How Long Does It Take to Reset a Laptop to Factory Settings? Setting up a laptop can take fifteen minutes and many hours, depending on various circumstances.
Typically, it takes 2-3 hours to set up basic or factory settings on a standard laptop.
What is Factory Reset?
A factory reset is accomplished by either formatting or erasing the data and settings on a laptop to restore it to factory defaults, which entails rearranging everything in its proper location. These considerations include wiping off all files, partitions, and configurations and reinstalling the operating system with factory default settings.
Reason for Performing a Factory Reset
A factory reset of your Pc or Laptop can be necessary for various reasons. The Windows Get Help app can help you figure it out if you’re not sure. Those are some possible fixes for your laptop’s troubles.
It can find this area by searching for “Help” in the taskbar search box and then selecting “Get Help.” Additional software services are also available at various Microsoft stores. If you can locate a service center in your area, make an appointment to have your gadget repaired there.
There is no other option than to perform a factory reset if your gadget or computer is still inoperable after following this initial procedure. You must, however, first plan and prepare. So, why would you want to wipe everything on your device and start over?
Benefits That You Could Get After Restoring Laptop
- If you feel that a virus has infected your computer, consult with a professional. That professional will suggest you factory reset it, and the virus vanishes.
- Your device has become completely inoperable.
- You’d see an improvement in the performance of your computer.
- You’ve recently purchased a new computer or laptop, and you’d like to sell or give your old machine to another person. As a result, you must erase all of the data, profiles, and other personal information stored on the hard drive that you do not want other people to know about before giving it to someone.
How Long Does It Take to Reset a Laptop to Factory Settings?
For the reasons outlined above, the plan is simple and can be completed in under one hour if everything goes according to plan. What factors determine how fast or slow this procedure is going to be?
Here are a few of the most noteworthy:
- Time Estimation: On your laptop or PC, the total amount of files, directories, and programs. The more data you have, the longer it will take to restore it.
- Version and operating system: The older your laptop’s operating system, the longer it will take. If your computer has an i3 CPU with a maximum 2GHz speed and just 4GB of RAM, the factory reset process will be slower than if you had an i5 CPU and 8GB of RAM.
- Hard disc drive (HDD) vs. solid-state drive (SSD): Solid-state drives are significantly faster than previous hard disc drives. As a result, if your system contains HDD storage and all other items, this restore process will take substantially longer than if the system had SSD storage installed.
- The number of external devices connected: Although this is more or less prevalent in Laptop configurations, it is also relatively relevant in laptop setups. Suppose you have many peripherals connected, Such as an external keyboard(s), a mouse, an external hard drive, cards, etc. The process will run slower. As a result, try to remove any removable attachments before doing a factory reset.
These considerations imply that an outdated laptop (or PC) with inadequate hardware-software integration will take hours to finish the task. The same is true for newer yet hectic systems.
However, if you have a newer machine with the latest hardware and software, you can be back to work in an hour or less. Yes, it will take an hour to restore your system, plus another 15 minutes to set up your computer, enter passwords, and modify settings.
Read Also: How to Reset School Laptop Perfect Guide
How Long Does It Take to Factory Reset a Laptop Windows 10?
Once you’ve seen how long it takes to factory reset a laptop, what comes next is to learn the technique itself. Data loss can occur if you select the incorrect option when doing a reset and instead want to retain your files or wipe the disc. The instructions listed below will guide you adequately in resetting your laptop or PC.
Step#1 Open Setting
Go to the settings. Tick the gear icon in the Start menu will take you to the screen. At the top of your screen, click on “Update & Security.” Recovery is a list in the left pane, so pick it.
Step#2 Restart the Laptop
Windows S will give you the following alternatives: Reset this Laptop; Go back to Windows XP, and Advanced starting options. Restarting your computer is the most acceptable way to get a fresh start.
Step#3 Upgrade Your Windows
Going back to the earlier version lets you roll back to your previous version, but it will only be Accessible if you upgrade your Windows 10 to the new version of Windows 10. Run the advanced startup option lets you open new troubleshooting modes by a recovery Drive or Disc.
Step#4 Select the Get Started Option
Select the Get started option under Reset this Laptop. You can decide whether or not to keep your data files. Removing everything will delete all of your files, photos, and programs if you don’t have any backups. You Will reset all of your settings to their defaults and wipe all of your data files, which means you will remove apps in either scenario.
Step#5 Press the Next Button
In the following stage, you must decide whether you want to install Windows in the cloud or on your machine (from your device). It is sufficient to press the Next button when Windows informs you that restoring to a previous version of the operating system will not be available.
Step#6 Complete Reset the Laptop
The Reset Option will present, and after selecting it, Windows will restart numerous times to reset the laptop completely.
Important Tips That Should Consider While Restoring:
The steps outlined above should indicate that factory cleaning your laptop is a straightforward process to complete. Any further questions? The information will help you avoid issues while resetting your computer to factory settings. Before you can answer the question, How Long Does It Take to Reset a Laptop to Factory Settings? You must first understand the causes.
- Removing all of your data before selling or giving away your laptop is more accessible using the Remove Everything option than the Keep my files option.
- After resetting your laptop to factory settings, make a backup of any important files you want to save. Backup data on an external hard drive if that is more convenient for you.
- Be cautious when selecting to share your personal information with a third-party company. It is common for social media companies to ask for your permission to collect data about you while you sign up for an account. Please inquire about the company’s privacy policies before sharing this information.
Read Also: How to Factory Reset Iview Laptop Helpful Guide
- Ensure that you have enough battery power or that the laptop is connected when performing a factory reset. If everything works properly, it should prevent the machine from shutting off while being reset.
- When factory cleaning your laptop, it is preferable to have a stable internet connection. It will make it possible for you to rapidly reinstall the necessary applications on your computer. If you have factory reset your computer and do not have access to the internet, you may have difficulty installing apps on your computer.
- Try installing everything manually instead of using system restore or conducting a complete factory reset if you’re having trouble finding files after wiping your laptop clean after a factory reset. It should make it straightforward to discover and repair any corrupted or missing data.
FAQs – How Long Does It Take to Reset a Laptop to Factory Settings?
Does Factory Reset Make Laptop Faster?
Yes, in the short run, is the answer to that question. A factory reset will temporarily increase the performance of your laptop. Once you begin loading files and applications, the computer’s performance may deteriorate to the same sluggish level as previously.
Is It Safe to Factory Reset a Laptop?
In the event of a factory reset, data islet on the hard drive, and those parts will survive until the hard drive is overwritten with new information. In a nutshell, the reset can offer you a false sense of confidence.
How Do I Completely Reset My HP Laptop?
Turn on your laptop and immediately press the F11 key on your keyboard to begin System Recovery. Troubleshooting can be started on the Choose an option screen by choosing it. Select “Reset this computer” from the drop-down menu. Depending on your preference, either “Keep my files” or “Remove everything” from the drop-down menu.
Now, You know all about How Long Does It Take to Reset a Laptop to Factory Settings? It doesn’t take that much time, and no doubt your data is essential, and you are bothered about the date and time that would restore. If you have previously backed up your data to an external hard drive or similar storage device, you will be able to enter everything.
If you conduct the restoration in Safe Mode, you will be unable to undo it. The restore would be impossible to undo if did it through System Restore, which is what you would have done.
Installing Windows 10 on top of an older version of Microsoft’s operating system will void the ability to restore factory settings. In this instance, you may have to install Windows 10 correctly.
The time to finish the entire procedure depends on your machine’s input-output data rate. It depends on whether you have an HDD or an SSD.
Because HDD drives dominated the PC industry in the past, factory resetting a laptop took a long time. SSDs are now cheap and preloaded in most laptops, decreasing factory reset time to seconds.